Different Drummer (iPad)
Date Added: Nov 14, 2012
Different Drummer is a new kind of drum machine that uses the innate rhythmic power of waves to control all aspects of drumming. Since waves are the primal source of all cyclical motion in the Universe, it makes sense to tap into them for musical purposes other than synthesizers. Not only can waves create sounds, they can play sounds too!
“Basically, we have discovered the “Fountain of Drumming” and we are sharing our discovery with the world! While this software is definitely fun to play with, real production can also be done by saving wave patterns and combining them into sequences. It can also be used to inspire new ideas for drum patterns or rhythmic ideas for songs because as you will find out, the variety of rhythms is nearly endless. If you are serious about your drum tracks, Different Drummer is a must-have tool!”
The Main Saved module of Different Drummer is the Wave Set which is a collection of up to 8 Drum Waves, each of those composed of 4 Control Waves:
- Note Wave: Allows you not just to have plain drums, but also drums that change pitch inside an assigned scale.
- Rest Wave: Lets you create gaps in the drum pattern based on complex wave patterns.
- Tie Wave: Lets you create rhythmic variations that tie drum notes together or break them apart based on waves.
- Dynamic Wave: Lets you control the loudness or velocity of drum strikes creating a very human feel.
Each of these component waves is composed of a Fundamental wave and 6 partials of that fundamental, making for an astronomical set of variables that allow you to dial in any rhythm imaginable and many more that are unimaginable—the whole point of Different Drummer. Nothing can replace a good live drummer, but Different Drummer will definitely inspire drummers to try new things and may even intimidate a few of them because it’s hard to compete with the beauty of waves and mathematics.
- 8 Drum Tracks with 5-wave Cyclophone Controls
- Stereo audio recording. Export via Drop box or iTunes or AudioCopy or General Pasteboard (to GarageBand for example)
- Control drum pitches, rests, ties, dynamics and panning using complex waves
- Instant Capture in case you hear a killer beat you want saved
- Save Wave Sets to Wave Library
- String Wave Sets together in saved Sequences
- Export Wave Sets or Sequences as MIDI Files (via iTunes, DropBox or Email)
- Over 100 drum samples with more added every update
- Add your own samples via iTunes (WAV or CAF) or AudioPaste
- Over 70 musical scales to assign drums to as well as key
- Reverb effect and mixer
- Set Key, Tempo, Swing and Time Signature
- Automation for randomizing and morphing playback
- MIDI Sync Out
- Up to 8 Channels of MIDI Out
- Core MIDI lets you play other synthesizers and drum machines on your iPad such as Animoog and NLog Pro
- Audiobus support for audio out (as input source)
- Ability to run in background allows you to play on top of Different Drummer in other apps as well as control external recording
You Might Also Like...