Okay, so you’re a new Maschine user waiting for your new Mk3 to arrive. Or, maybe you’re an experienced user who never really tapped into all the sampling options available to you in Maschine. Well, today is your lucky day! In this article we’ll explore different sample sources you can use to get audio into Maschine.
Mobile phones, hardware synths, or field recorders
If you’re planning on purchasing NI’s soon to be released Maschine Mk3 hardware, you’ll be able to plug any ¼” cable into the new studio grade audio interface. This is a 96 kHz, 24-bit audio interface with 2 x ¼” TRS line inputs and a ¼” mic input for use with a dynamic microphone.
Being able to sample directly into the Mk3 hardware should be the easiest and fastest way to get external audio into Maschine and onto a pad for further editing.
Youtube, Vimeo (and virtually anything that plays audio from the internet)
Windows users, the word for today is Voicemeeter.
Voicemeeter is a virtual audio mixer and virtual audio interface offered as donationware from software developers, VB-Audio. It’s available for Windows XP, Vista, 7/8/8.1/10 in 32/64 bits and is similar to a program for Mac users called Loopback, which I think used to be called Soundflower. In a nutshell, this program allows you to bring audio into Maschine from any source that plays through it including other audio applications on your computer. It does require some configuration, but nothing too difficult. Once installed and configured:
– Go to your audio properties and select Voicemeeter as your main audio device
– Make sure Voicemeeter ASIO is selected in Maschine’s audio preferences
– Go to Maschine’s Sampler page and get to sampling!That’s it!
Keep in mind that this covers you for any and all audio that plays from any website as well as audio playing from other applications on your computer. Have fun with that!
And for Mac users there’s another cool app that allows you sampling other apps like Spotify, iTunes, Safari (soundcloud, youtube etc). The app is called Audio Hijack Pro. It’s been around for many years and recently they’ve release an update with clean modern UI:
A few months back, the good people at Loopmasters released a free application they named, Loopcloud. You’re probably saying to yourself, “not another cloud-based sample storage platform”. Yes, but this is one of the best free options available to my knowledge at least.
It runs as a standalone application for Windows and Mac in both 32/64 bit format, comes with 1GB of free sample content and you get 150mb of new free samples every week. But, it really shines when you use it as a plug-in inside your DAW of choice. The Loopcloud plug-in syncs to your host tempo so you can audition samples that will already be in sync with your song. What’s even cooler than that is you can drag n drop samples from Loopcloud directly into your session and keep it moving.
You can search for samples by instrument, genre, label, file format, content type, key and bpm. My only gripe is that you can’t add samples from your hard drive, but Loopmasters have stated that this will come in a future update.
Certainly everybody in the audio community knows about Splice by now. For those that don’t, Splice is one of the more popular online platforms for audio enthusiast, producers and musicians. Among other things, Splice also a great resource for samples, boasting 1 million samples from a plethora of sound providers. However, Splice is subscription based and there’s a fee of $8 per month.
The good thing is that the fee covers any amount of samples you download during that time. With 1 million samples available and most likely more by this time, you can image that there are plenty of genres to choose from.
There’s an application you have to download to your computer to be able to preview and download content. If you don’t want to buy in to the subscription service, you can still purchase samples individually directly from the Splice application without having to purchase an entire sound pack.
Vinyl Record Youtube Channels
There’s a healthy amount of Youtube channels that are based on obscure vinyl records that haven’t been overused or maybe even haven’t been used at all. I’m subscribed to quite a few and found these channels to be a source of inspiration whenever I have beat block.
I’ll list a few channels here for you to check out, but also remember that if you install Voicemeeter (PC users) or Loopback (Mac users), you’ll be able to sample right into Maschine immediately. I hope you all get lost in the fun of building your own unique sample libraries. Enjoy!
5 cool iOS apps to sample
Sampling iOS apps to Maschine is easy, just connect your iPhone/iPad to Maschine MK3 or another audio interface or just use USB cable if you use Mac (yes, it can transfer audio via USB as well).
Maschine as well as many iOS apps support Ableton Link – so you can easily play in sync.
Figure - Make Music & Beats
by Propellerhead Software AB
Figure - Make Music & Beats
Figure makes it easy to create great-sounding music in seconds.
Create an addictive beat before the barista brings your coffee or lay down a beefy bass line while waiting for the bus to arrive.
Figure is intuitive enough for beginners to make music within seconds, yet deep enough for you to get lost in endless play on a transatlantic flight.
Simply slide your finger across the play pad to record and tweak catchy drumbeats, memorable melodies and fat bass lines. Just bring your inspiration and Figure will help you take care of the rest.
• App Store Hall of Fame Inductee
• App Store Editor's Choice/App of the Week in many countries
“Exceptionally simple to use, and you'll be making music in seconds.” – Music Radar
“Exceedingly fun and easy to use… a deeply involved music-making experience.” – The Verge
“Anyone can craft killer beats with this superbly designed music maker.” – App Store Editor’s Notes
"Figure Music App Is Awesome, Easy to Use" – Wired
"Makes powerful electronic music-making technology accessible to all." – The Guardian
"Music-Making App Lets You Be The Artist" – NPR
• Sounding like a pro has never been this easy.
• Explore the world of music-making with no experience required.
• Create complete songs with drums, bass and lead melodies.
• Compose and experiment by sliding your finger across the play pad.
• Never play a bad note – Figure keeps you in key, and on the beat.
• Add cool and exciting effects to your songs with easy XY-automation.
• Tweak and manipulate your song on the fly.
• Share your original creations to iTunes® library.
NITTY GRITTY DETAILS:
• Play in different keys & modes—set once or change on the fly
• Transform chords into melody lines with arpeggiator
• Tighten or loosen up your beats with Swing
• Add club sound to your tracks with Pump
• Save, browse and load song files
• Set length of loop (1, 2, 4, 8 bars)
• Select Bass & Lead Synth sounds from Reason’s Thor synthesizer
• Huge Drum sounds powered by Reason’s Kong drum machine
• Stream live audio directly to other Audiobus-compatible apps—see http://audiob.us for more information
• Background audio (in device Settings)
** Requirements: iOS 11 or higher.
KORG Gadget 2
by KORG INC.
KORG Gadget 2
Evolving to the next generation. Quickly and intuitively turn your ideas into music.
KORG Gadget 2 - The best music production software.
KORG Gadget has received numerous awards from around the world:
• Apple: "App Store Best of 2014" in Japan
• #1 in the Top Paid Music iPad App category*
• TECH AWARD 2015 "Best Music Production App"
• MusicTech's "Gear of the Year: Best App" Gold Award
• “Musikmesse international press award 2016” Mobile Music App
* USA, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Italy and much more!
KORG Gadget is the best all-in-one music production software and plugin collection; the intuitive user interface provides over 40 small synthesizers and drum machines called “Gadgets," that you can freely combine for music production. Starting with the award winning iOS edition, followed by Gadget for Mac with its powerful plugin collection, now the Gadget plug-ins are now Windows compatible." With carefully selected parameters and at-the-ready sounds/presets, you can now use various powerful gadgets with your favorite DAW on your Mac/PC.
With improved sound and utility efficiency, the second generation KORG Gadget 2 has been further enhanced to include six new gadgets. In addition, the intuitive user interface has been polished to improve ease of use. With the new design, you can now check the status of each track at a glance, an additional four new IFX have been included and you can now smoothly change the tempo as well as fade in/fade out. You can complete your music without losing inspiration, doing all of your work with KORG Gadget 2.
• Updated and jam-packed with new features.
The second edition KORG Gadget 2 has been dramatically updated; packed with new features and new gadgets. With a brand new design and color scheme on the main screen, you can easily check each track at a glance. The highly requested feature to smoothly change the tempo can be set with each scene. With the touch of a button, you can fade in/fade out. Four new IFX are included - feedback reverb, enhancer, exciter, and saturator - extending the range of your music production. KORG Gadget 2 continues to evolve to completely support your music making.
• Instrument collection with over 40 gadgets.
Overwhelming sound. Breakthrough qualities. The KORG Gadget 2 has more than 40 gadget instruments in its collection, including compact synthesizers, drum machines, samplers, audio, MIDI utilities and more. In order for anyone to be able to easily find the sounds they want, we have provided sophisticated parameter configurations, so you can instantly realize your ideal sound. Powerful gadget groups such as electronic music, rock, pop, jazz, and even band sounds are available. Among the various gadgets, you can always find the sound that you're looking for.
• Link with hardware for infinite possibilities.
With KORG Gadget 2, it is possible to flexibly link with various hardware devices. Produce music with hardware synthesizers, rhythm machines, etc in ways that were not possible until now. By entering a phrase into the intuitively operated gadget sequencer, and using the newly added Taipei gadget for a seamless connection with various MIDI devices, you can connect without software. Have even more fun than before while producing music with KORG Gadget 2.
• Use with your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
KORG Gadget can be used with iOS, Mac, via plug-in (Mac/PC), and Nintendo Switch. On iOS and Mac, you can share your ideas by seamlessly using iCloud or an Ableton Live*1 project, and using plugins in your favorite DAW; for Nintendo Switch, share seamlessly via QR code. *2 Wherever, whenever inspiration strikes, you can use you favorite device to take your KORG Gadget with you.
More info at korg.com
Patterning : Drum Machine
by Olympia Noise Co.
Patterning : Drum Machine
App Store Best of 2015, Runner Up : App of the Year.
As beautiful as it is powerful, Patterning is a deep and flexible drum machine unlike any you’ve encountered before. With its elegant circular interface, Patterning transforms the iPad into a seriously inspiring tool for making beats.
Create dynamic drum patterns with the swipe of a finger. Make evolving, poly-metric rhythms, four-on-the-floor dance party jams, or laid back R&B grooves. Use Patterning’s independent loop settings to explore untapped rhythmic possibilities. Automate parameters to create intricate & complex beats. Arrange patterns on the timeline to construct songs. Use the built-in effects--delay, reverb, distortion, and 3-band EQ--to add atmosphere, shimmer and noise. Connect to other apps with Audiobus, Inter-App Audio, and MIDI. Export your beats to perfect audio loops or directly to an Ableton Live Set.
Patterning comes loaded with classic drum machine samples as well as exclusive drum kits created and curated by contemporary producers and musicians. For the independent producer, it’s easy to create custom kits with your own samples.
Supports Ableton Link, MIDI Clock Sync, and Inter-App Audio Sync.
With an extensive and uncommon feature set, Patterning redefines what an iOS drum machine can be.
“This is brilliant.” - Sebastian Dittman, Audiobus & Audanika
"Patterning is fantastic…. You will not be disappointed.” - Sean Garland, iOSMars.com
"The honest truth is this: Patterning really does live up to the hype.” - Doug Woods, thesoundtestroom.com
Patterning was created by Olympia Noise Co., makers of Chordion, App Store Editor’s Choice in 23 Countries.
Recommended for iPad 3 and newer.
For a complete list of specifications, please visit http://www.olympianoiseco.com/apps/patterning
GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the new Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 11 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects right into GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record and capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy synth*
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch**
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions***
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists****
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops*****
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud******
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* The Alchemy synth is available on iPhone 6 or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4.
** Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
*** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
**** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
***** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
****** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
by Chris Carlson
Borderlands Granular is a new musical instrument that enables people of all ages to touch, transform, and explore sound. Simply double tap to begin!
“The best app for exploring sound just got better... This is 'go out and buy an iPad to run it' good stuff.“ -Peter Kirn, Create Digital Music
“When I first saw the demo video for Borderlands Granular in 2012, my jaw hit the floor. My first thought was ‘THIS is what making music on an iPad should be.’”
Sean Garland, iOSMars.com
“Borderlands has floored us. It is very rare that we find an app that is not only fun to use, but extremely useful. It is truly inspiring. The interface is stunning, the sounds are so evocative: they're a film composer's dream.”
Paul Hepker and Mark Kilian, Film Composers (Tsotsi, Eye in the Sky)
“It’s beautiful, it’s absolutely great. It goes in a completely new direction."
Christian Fennesz, Experimental Musician. Interview from Tiny Mix Tapes, May 2014
2013 Prix Ars Electronica - Award of Distinction in Digital Music and Sound Art
2015 ZKM | Center for Art and Media App Art Awards - Special Prize for Sound Art
Borderlands Granular uses a technique called granular synthesis, which involves the superposition of tiny fragments of sound, or “grains," to create complex, evolving timbres and textures. The app is designed to be easy to use, emphasizing gestural interaction over knobs and sliders. Create, drag, and throw pulsing clouds of grains over a landscape of audio files, or use the built-in accelerometer to sculpt sound with gravity. Simply double tap to begin!
Borderlands comes ready to play with default sample content included, but you can also load and export your own sounds via Audiobus, Audioshare, and real time input from the mic or external audio interfaces. Re-sample recordings made within the app on-the-fly for layers-upon-layers of granulation.
You can also improvise alongside the app - touches and parameters may be recorded, looped, stored, and duplicated. Entire configurations of clouds, sounds, and automation can be saved into presets, or “scenes,” that may be recalled at a later time, allowing Borderlands to seamlessly transition between the studio and the stage.