There are many different Ableton Live controller apps for iOS – from powerful Touchable app that mimics Ableton devices interface and allows you controlling literally every function of Live to flexible modern-looking Conductr.
Though if you are familiar with Ableton midi controllers you probably know very well Novation Launchpad – it is pretty cheap (comparing to Ableton push) midi controller designed to launch clips in session view but with new scripts it also acts as matrix-style midi notes keyboard (like Push or Maschine Jam).
Based on advanced Launchpad script – developer Alexander Nowak has made iOS app that repeats functions of Novation Launchpad on a touch screen of an iPad or iPhone.
And with the recent update the app brings Apple Watch support that shows part of the layout but still allows to play some notes/launch clips.
Launch Buttons – control Ableton Live with Apple Watch, iPhone or iPad
- 8×8 clip launch grid
- 8 scene launch buttons
- 16 freely-assignable knobs
- Low-latency MIDI communication over Wifi
- Color coding like on the Novation Launchpad Pro
- Freely-assignable transport controls
- Works with Launchpad95 (free) and Launchpad Pro95 (Plus)
Launch Buttons Plus
by Alexander Nowak
Launch Buttons Plus
THIS APP DOES NOT PLAY AUDIO BECAUSE IT'S A MIDI CONTROLLER FOR ABLETON LIVE
Launch Buttons is a MIDI controller that lets you perform your tracks and lightshow covers wherever you go. You don't need to carry your expensive gear to control Live; your phone/tablet is just about enough. On my website, I provide a MIDI Remote Script for the use with Ableton Live. The script is based on Henri David's Launchpad Pro95 that brings some of Ableton Push's functions (step sequencer, scale mode, ...) to the Launchpad Pro - and therefore to this app.
This is the Plus version that provides more colors, 16 more function buttons and 16 freely assignable knobs.
The Apple Watch extension lets you access about one fifth of the Buttons. This means that you can use the app to control a 3x3 clip launchers, 3 scene launchers, and 4 arrow keys to navigate through your clips. It also can display some of the buttons used for step sequencing, good enough for a little stunt in a live set I'd say.
See also – Ableton Live Controllers for iOS:
touchAble is THE controller app for Ableton Live.
"A controller that rivals the Push in the hardware space, and almost completely leaves the competition behind in the app space." DJ TECHTOOLS
touchAble 3 offers a vast array of new and improved features and finally connects via a simple USB cable.
The new Live Device Template Pack (available as an in-app purchase) provides a well designed layout for nearly every device in Live.
touchAble 3 includes six different modules that - combined - give you full control over Lives Session-View.
Its modular interface allows to split the screen to show two modules at the same time - or to maximise the surface area of a single module.
And if the size of one iPad is not enough, you can use touchAble with as many iPads or iPhones (using touchAble Mini) as you want.
'The level of control and amount of customisation is really impressive as is the integration with Live. SonicTouch Gold Award.' SONICSTATE
'touchAble can really add a new level of performance to your gigs and recording sessions.' DJMAG
'touchAble promises to be a real game-changer in the world of controller apps.' ASKAUDIO magazine
'Ableton users with an iPad, it's an easy recommendation.' RESIDENT ADVISOR
'touchAble goes further than any app has before.' CREATE DIGITAL MUSIC
'There are so many great features that each Live user can find useful as their main controller.' DUBSPOT
The included Modules are:
Launch Clips and Scenes, Solo and arm tracks, or open up the loop controls to quickly loop a running Clip.
An overview provides quick access to any position in the set. Create or delete Tracks, Scenes, Clips and even stop buttons.
Edit MIDI Clips with the MIDI Editor. Drum Mode makes it easy to lay down a drum loop. Chord Mode allows for precise note placements and lengths - in any scale you want.
Adjust Volumes, Sends, Pans and the Crossfader.
Accurate dB readings and level meters.
Snap and Timed mode with 4 different envelopes.
Access Live Devices, VSTs or AUs. Supports Devices in Racks.
Intelligent Controls adapt to the type of control used in Live. Snap and Combo mode.
With the addition of the Live Device Template Pack (in-app purchase), all Live devices will look and feel exactly as their counterparts in Live.
Keys & Pads:
Traditional Keyboard Drum Pads
All of them include Scales selector, Note repeat, Aftertouch and Positional velocity
Assign and control up to 12 parameters at once.
Gravity Parameters on each of the dots.
Snapshots of positions with morph.
Edit your own interfaces using XY Pads, Faders, Rotaries, Buttons, Labels and Containers.
Assign any Live parameter or MIDI CC/Note.
Use as many pages as you like - and save and restore your templates.
Combine your own template with touchAbles other modules.
The Browser lets you access Live's Library. Drag and Drop Devices on a track - or drop Samples on one of the DrumPads.
touchAble 3 is compatible with Live 9 (latest version) - Lite, Intro, Standard and Suite - and runs on all generations of iPad.
The Server Software requires OSX 10.7 and above or Windows 7 and above.
Download the Server Software from http://www.touch-able.com and follow the installation process.
• Connect your iPad to your computer via USB or a wireless network.
• Run Ableton Live and enable 'touchAble' as a Control Surface.
• Launch touchAble on your iPad and tap the Server to connect.
• Within a few seconds your set will be touchAble 🙂
Lemur is the world's best MIDI/OSC controller for iOS. Benefiting from nearly 10 years of development, Lemur is synonymous with multitouch music control. All these major artists can't be wrong: Daft Punk. Björk, Plastikman, CHVRCHES, Glitch Mob, Sub Focus, Max Cooper, Barker & Baumecker, Orbital and many more.
Version 5.0 introduces the incredible new Canvas object and the Sequencer family of features with rock solid timing.
Canvas — Canvas is a brand new object that lets you script custom widgets with full multitouch support. The object is adapted from the HTML5 Canvas element, which means you can design widgets featuring complex shapes, animation, shadows, and transparency The Canvas object opens the door to a completely new Lemur experience, where the appearance and behaviour of objects can be designed to precisely match the demands of your project. Polygons, waveforms, circular objects and infinitely more are all possible with Canvas.
Sequencer — Lemur 5.0 introduces a family of new features for tight sequencing. This includes three new objects: StepNote, StepSwitch and StepSlider. Each of these provides a different flavour of sequencing and is ready to use right out of the box. The objects do the hard work for you, simply add them to your template and they are ready to control your MIDI instruments.
In App Editor — Design your templates on the fly, without a computer in sight. The In-App Editor, available on iPad only, makes multitouch control truly improvisatory by letting you shape your controller the same way you shape sounds. Virtually every function of the desktop editor application is now available through an intuitive system of iOS menus and widgets. Best of all – it’s easier to use than ever. This means a much smaller learning curve and an immediate initial experience. Any basic configuration, such as a typical bank of faders, can now be created with a few familiar taps and gestures. And any factory template can be adjusted quickly to suit your particular needs.
Skins — Lemur features three new skins, in addition to the classic look. Choose the look that fits your style and get inspired.
LiveControl 2 — Experience the ultimate Ableton Live controller, designed in partnership with master designer ST8. Improvise a riff on the Play page, then switch to the Sequencer page to edit the pattern. Choose a key and scale to guide your melodies and use Quick Chord to instantly create harmonies. Use the Modulate page to flawlessly map any parameter from any plugin to the MultiBall object and take advantage of Physics, LFOs and gesture recording. The Launch page gives you everything you would expect from a clip launcher, and more. We even integrated snapshots and morphing.
REQUIREMENT (for the Lemur Daemon):
- OS X (Intel only) 10.5+
- Windows (XP SP3 or 7 recommended)
The In App Editor feature is accessible only on iPad devices.
Simply connect your iPad/iPhone to your laptop over Wi-Fi and make the connection! Lemur also supports CoreMIDI allowing you to use hardware interfaces such as Alesis' iO Dock or the iConnectMIDI or class-compliant USB MIDI interfaces (with a camera connection kit). You can even control up to 8 computers from one iPad with Lemur!
Conductr - Ableton Live and Tr...
Conductr - Ableton Live and Tr...
"I’ve found the Traktor controller module to be a delight. Easy to set up, stable and completely instinctive to use".
MIRA CALIX (Warp Records)
"Conductr has quickly become an integral part of my studio experience. It provides me with great control over my workflow in both digital and analog domains while experimenting and recording within Ableton Live.”.
JUSTIN JAMES (Minus, Sci+Tec)
“The XY-4D is simply the best X/Y controller I’ve seen on the iPad yet”.
PETER KIRN (createdigitalmusic.com)
Conductr is an app that musicians and DJs alike can design according to their specific needs: it features several different modules to control Ableton Live and Traktor.
Conductr is not about mimicking hardware or desktop software on the iPad, but to develop a new way of interacting with music.
Conductr is a freemium app. You can download a trial version for free.
WARNING: Conductr is a software controller. It doesn't make any sound by itself.
• Ableton Live 9.0 or higher (for Ableton users).
• Traktor 2.5 or higher / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 2.5 or higher / Traktor Pro 2 2.5 or higher / Traktor LE 2 2.5 or higher (for Traktor users).
• Mac OSX 10.7 or higher
• Windows Vista or higher with iTunes.
• iPad / iPad Mini with iOS 7.0 or higher.
• Original iPad Connection cable (Apple made or Apple Certified-MFI) when using the USB Connection.
• Server software (requires a 64-bit Intel Operating System). Free download at conductr.net/downloads
Communicate your iPad and your computer via USB for reduced latency.
Control one single Ableton Live or Traktor set with multiple iPads.
New modules are released regularly.
• 4 different view modes: 4, 3, 2 or 1 slots on screen.
• Each slot can contain 1 module.
• Any module can be loaded on any slot while playing.
• You can save your complete project's set up.
• Up to 4 decks.
• Each deck features 3 different modes:
ABLETON CLIPS MODULE
• Clear and simple clips grid.
• Clips and loops evolution bars.
• SHIFT mode for fast access to a basic mixer.
• LINK function: sync Clips and Mixer positions.
ABLETON MIXER MODULE
• Clear and simple control of each track’s volume and mute.
• Faders with physics.
• SHIFT mode for fast access to each track’s pan crossfader, solo and record buttons.
• 2 SEND modes.
• Volume LIMITER function.
• Master Volume LOCK/UNLOCK function.
• LINK function: sync Mixer and Clips positions.
ABLETON MASTER MODULE
• Clear and simple transport unit.
ABLETON USER MODULES
• Up to 8 parameter controllers from any device on any track per module.
• 4 control interfaces: faders, crossfaders, buttons and quantized scales.
• RESET feature: create parameter's values memories.
ABLETON 4-D XY USER MODULES
• Up to 4 FX units per module.
• Up to 4 parameters per FX unit.
• RESET and FREEZE mode.
ABLETON GESTURAL MODE
• Motion capture system. Play your User Modules without looking at the iPad.
• Control different parameters depending on how many fingers you use anywhere on the screen.
CLAYDR MIDI KEYBOARD
• 4 rows onscreen. Each row can contain a different octave. Each row settings can be edited independently.
• Row settings:
- ADD NOTE
- 3 DIFFERENT VELOCITY MODES
• More parameters can be set using the CLAYDR SHIFT Mode:
- Select the scale and key you want to play.
- KEY mode to see only each scale's notes / CHROMATIC mode to see the whole keyboard.
BRANDL MIDI DRUM PAD
• ERGONOMIC mode featuring hand morphology capture system:
Play with 1 to 5 fingers. Assign any pad to any finger.
• PAD mode featuring 16 pads on a 4x4 matrix.
• 8 macro controllers.
• One XY-4D FX unit.
• Settings editor:
-2 MIDI mapping modes: Automatic Ableton Drum Rack Mapping and Manual.
-2 Flexible Volume modes: Touch Size (TSZ) and Center-Relative (CTR).
2 Fixed volume modes: Manual (set each pad’s volume) and Global (5 positions).
LK - for Ableton Live & Midi c...
by Imaginando, Sociedade Unipessoal Lda
LK - for Ableton Live & Midi c...
LK is a sophisticated remote controller application for music software and hardware.
It works in two modes: Live or MIDI. In Live mode, each module has a tight integration with Ableton Live making it easy to interact with your Ableton Live project. Use the MIDI mode to control other apps using the LK’s virtual MIDI output, or to control software running on your computer, using a wired or wireless connection via UBRIDGE.
LK is intuitive to use and features creative tools that makes it a powerful companion for any electronic musician. Its 5 independent modules are available as in-app purchases, therefore you will only buy what you need and nothing else.
See what’s inside:
- Control almost every aspect on Ableton Live, from composition to automation, clips, tracks, devices and much more with MATRIX.
- Get the MPC feel on your touchscreen with MIDI PADS, featuring an arpeggiator and a chorder. This module works in two modes: Ableton Live and MIDI mode. When working in Ableton Live mode it automatically maps drum rack pads names to each pad on the app. You will never miss a pad again.
- Extensive control through 128 parameters with MIDI Controller. Just like MIDI PADS, this module works in either MIDI or Ableton Live mode. Forget the old school MIDI mapping. In Ableton Live mode, with the learn function you just need to choose assign and change the parameter… ready to rock!
- Three dimensional parameter tweaking with X/Y PAD. Just like MIDI PADS and MIDI CONTROLLER this module also works in either MIDI or Ableton Live mode making it to assign parameters on the fly with the learn function.
- Play chords like you have nevel played before with the CHORDER module. Just like the other modules, it works in Live or MIDI mode. Use the chorder generator to build your chords and lay them out according to your needs.
- Keyboard module serves as a Live or MIDI enhanced keyboard controller with 3-axis expression capabilities. It is fully customisable to scale and keyboard range. It also allows the possibility of mapping any Live or MIDI CC parameters to be controlled by the position you play in each of the keys of the keyboard thus providing additional expression to the performance of each note.
The ability to connect USB MIDI interfaces allows you to interact with external gear at the same time you control Ableton Live since you can switch modes on the fly at any time.
To connect LK to your host computer you will need to download and install a software utility called UBRIDGE on your computer. It is available for Windows and OSX.
For detailed operation information and requirements please visit www.imaginando.pt/products/lk